Wednesday, August 6, 2008

August 6, 2008

My 86 year-old father moved to a retirement center located about 4 miles from me. I'm glad to have him here but I know he's a bit lonely. He left his 90 year old girlfriend (Dad's a widower) in Raleigh, where they both lived in an independent living community. He'd been there since the spring of 2002.

If it's true that in our culture we're individually responsible for organizing our own fate, I'm proud of my father's organization skills and achievements. He was president of the civilian student body at Virginia Tech in the forties, served as a supply officer in the Navy during WWII, then finished his MBA at Harvard on the GI bill in 1947. He worked tirelessly and faithfully for a large New England textile company for nearly 35 years, then went on to teach and start his own CPA firm. In 1995, at the age of 74, he lost part of his vision and was finally forced to retire from business for good. But even in retirement he was an active person, helping other retirees with their investments and taxes, organizing and printing a resident directory in his former retirement community and being a good grandfather and terrific example to his grandchildren.

He's confined to a wheelchair now but his mind and memory are still sharp. We're both fairly new to this community. I've been here just a little less than three years and it's one of those small communities where most friendships were forged in elementary school. But we'll be fine. We've been the new family in town most of my life.

6 Comments:

At August 6, 2008 at 11:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

nice way ro keep in touch, love it! By the way, your dad is a widower, rather than a widow. How've you been? The charleston heat is unbearable. Tom and I are back together and living at 80 Cannon. I just sold another house and I think real estate is pretty fun. Any new art stuff going on, is there a site to check out new paintings. Lov, Currie

 
At August 6, 2008 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Robert Brown said...

Thanks - but shouldn't it be gender neutral at that age?

 
At August 6, 2008 at 2:34 PM , Blogger toms pix said...

Nice job Bob! Nice bio on Robert Brown Senior. Write me when you get back on your feet.

Tom Chaltas

 
At August 6, 2008 at 4:44 PM , Blogger jimmy craig womble said...

Bob! Great way to keep in touch with you. Hope to see you down here soon. Found a great painting spot. Baby due in 2 weeks!!!

 
At August 6, 2008 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Robert Brown said...

Two weeks! You guys better sleep all you can and rest up for the siege!

I'll call everyone when I get back on my feet - meanwhile, can someone lend me five dollars?

 
At August 8, 2008 at 7:22 AM , Blogger Sista Bess said...

Hey Bob,

Thank you for your hospitality last weekend.
I really enjoyed visiting Dad's wonderful new place, seeing your house and the new research campus.

Come visit Wilmington, when you get the chance!

PS I like "Bob's Blog"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home